#206 1501 17th Avenue SW Calgary
Phone: 403-454-CORE

Core Connection


Are you eligible for PGWP and searching for a suitable job? We can help! Send us your resume at info@coreconnect.ca
You need to know if you are eligible to work after you graduate. Not all designated learning institutions make you eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
Along with graduating from an eligible designated learning institution, you need to meet all other criteria to get a post-graduation work permit.

Eligibility Criteria

  • You have up to 180 days to apply for a PGWP after you get your degree or diploma transcript or official letter from your school
  • To be eligible, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.
  • Don’t let your status expire while you wait for your marks
  • If your study permit will expire before you get your marks, you have 2 options. You can apply for a visitor record to stay in Canada longer or leave Canada and apply for your PGWP
  • If you stay in Canada and let your permit expire, you must apply to restore your status as a student to apply for your PGWP. To restore your status, you must pay additional fees.
  • You can apply for a PGWP if your study permit has been valid within the last 180 days and you have a valid visitor record.
  • You submitted an application to extend your study permit before it expired and no decision has been made on your application
  • You submitted an application to change your status to visitor before your study permit expired and no decision has been made on your application
  • You must also have completed a study program at a designated learning institution that was at least 8 months long and that led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • Maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program This doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an approved leave from your studies.
  • If you had to stop studying or change to part-time studies between March 2020 and the fall semester in 2020 because of reasons related to COVID-19, you may still be eligible for a PGWP
  • Graduated from one of the following:
    • A public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec)
    • A private post-secondary school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools in Quebec
    • A private secondary or post-secondary school in Quebec that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer that lead to a Diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP—vocational studies diploma), or an Attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP—vocational studies accreditation)
    • An ASP can be less than 900 hours if combined with a DEP.
    • A Canadian private school that can award degrees under provincial law (for example, Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree), but only if you’re enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree as authorized by the province.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

Video content courtesy: Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Scroll to top